Re: Fixing the SCSI layer

tad-m2n@omoikane.co.jp
Sun, 05 Sep 1999 18:57:19 +0900

Alan wrote:
> The code is too heavy weight. I See performance limits with the Symbios
> FC card too. In paticular the commands/second is very very limited.

In addtion to the performance, I feel that not-command-oriented layer is
required, in order to:

- implement FC/net layer on the top of mid-layer.
(this may include target mode driver)

- have better sg driver (ex, abort handling, etc)

I think that current command-oriented layer is not sufficient for control
all SCSI functionality.

As described in section 'Future Derections' of enhanced sg's manual,
I would also like to invest CAM driver in FreeBSD.

I am not thinking too much, but I imagine below is one of choice.

step1 : implement CAM layer.
step2 : make a 'wrapper' of low driver to the CAM layer.
this wrapped driver is limited in functionality.
step3 : implement CAM specific low and high layer and
implemnt net and sg target mode layer.
It is safer that new sd/sg layer uses different device files,
in order to leave current interfaces.

Does someone have this kind of curiousity?
I would like to see if my thought is acceptable by linux hackers.
If there is already such a plan, I hope to help it.

Thanks in advance.

--
Tadayoshi Ohkuma / tad@omoikane.co.jp
Omoikane Ltd. / http://www.omoikane.co.jp