Re: [khttpd-users] Re: khttpd: Virtual domain support alpha code

Arjan van de Ven (arjan@fenrus.demon.nl)
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 17:04:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Lincoln Dale wrote:

> you may want to watch out for a possible DoS / security vulnerability in this.
>
> what if i were to construct a request to the server with the headers:
> GET shadow HTTP/1.0
> Host: ../../../etc
>
> or similar?
>
> without having looked at the rest of the khttpd code, i would imagine
> assume that horrible-tricks like these are checked for in the supplied
> pathname -- but how about the host header?

Well. This trick is detected even with the host header. This is because
ALL kHTTPd's security stuff is done on the _full_ filename. But you are
right still. We shouldn't let the remote user supply the path, we should
resolve his/her request to some local path, set by the local root user.

Greetings,
Arjan van de Ven