Re: ext2 rename() and the inode ctime of the renamed file/directory

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 07:24:14 +0100

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 11:31:08PM -0400, Chris Siebenmann wrote:

> At the moment, rename()ing something on an ext2 filesystem will update
> the inode ctimes of the directory or directories it was in or moved
> between, but it doesn't update the inode ctime of the renamed thing
> itself.
>
> On most other systems with a kernel rename(), it appears to update
> the rename()'d object's inode ctime.

[7am uncaffeinated disclaimer applies to the following]

Why should the inode's ctime be changed? Nothing is actually happening to the
inode, it's just directory contents which are being altered. Though by that
logic the directory mtime should be changed, not the ctime. Uhhuh. I'm going
to go back to sleep for a bit ;-)

--
QOTD: "Sure, I turned down a drink once. Didn't understand the question."