Re: PCI patch for 2.3.16

David Hinds (dhinds@lahmed.stanford.edu)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:52:54 -0700

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Quite frankly, I'm not willing to start to use more BIOS calls that are
> likely to be broken on some (unlikely) machines just to avoid problems on
> other (unlikely) machines. EVERY time we've had a BIOS interface, we've
> had trouble on some machines. We don't want to go down that path.

Actually, the PCI interrupt mapping tables are often available without
using any BIOS calls. You can just scan 0xf0000-0xfffff for a special
signature ('$PIR') and read the table directly: this is one of the
defined ways of retrieving this information. I do this in the current
PCMCIA code to get the interrupt assignments for CardBus bridges.

-- Dave Hinds