Re: Threads in linux, contd

Christopher E. Brown (cbrown@denalics.net)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:32:24 -0800 (AKDT)

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Jim Nance wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 11:32:15PM +0100, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> >
> > > * was this situation always this way (i.e. 2.0.*, 2.2.* and 2.3.*)
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Well sort of. Linus always planned to do threads this way, but its only
> been relatively recently that working pthread libraries have appeared to
> take advantage of it. For a long time linux'es pthread implementation was
> implemented in user space and all threads ran inside of 1 process. I think
> this was still the case when we switched from a.out to ELF libraries. At
> some point Xavier Leroy wrote a clone() based pthread implementation that
> is the basis of what we use today. I do not think that it was a part of
> libc5, but you could patch up a libc5 system to use it. Xavier's package
> is a standard part of glibc, so you have a reasonable pthreads implementation
> on all newer Linux distributions.

No patching, just install LinuxThreads 0.7.1 Works very well
(Been using myself since late 1996 (IIRC) for various apps). With
glibc2 the same lib is included, no need to install seperate.

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
--About the Internet and nuclear war.