Re: Threads in linux, contd

Jim Nance (jnance@nortelnetworks.com)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:19:40 -0400

On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 11:32:15PM +0100, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>
> > * was this situation always this way (i.e. 2.0.*, 2.2.* and 2.3.*)
>
> Yes.

Well sort of. Linus always planned to do threads this way, but its only
been relatively recently that working pthread libraries have appeared to
take advantage of it. For a long time linux'es pthread implementation was
implemented in user space and all threads ran inside of 1 process. I think
this was still the case when we switched from a.out to ELF libraries. At
some point Xavier Leroy wrote a clone() based pthread implementation that
is the basis of what we use today. I do not think that it was a part of
libc5, but you could patch up a libc5 system to use it. Xavier's package
is a standard part of glibc, so you have a reasonable pthreads implementation
on all newer Linux distributions.

Jim