Re: NFS under 2.2.12

Frank van Maarseveen (fvm@tasking.nl)
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 11:58:01 +0200

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 08:38:43PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Shure, it does! But Distributions like Redhat are already shipping them
> > anyway. If you get a 2.2.x Kernel from kernel.org running on a Redhat 6.0
> > Basesystem. NFS will no longer work :(
>
> Yep. Because the knfsd shipped with 2.2.x isnt good enough, but if I upgrade
> stuff in the kernel to need new tools people get all pissy and obnoxious
> as they did with raid.
>
> So you can apply the knfs patches yourself. I strongly recommend you and
> every vendor does that.
Ahh, now I understand why these patches haven't gone into the kernel: you're
concerned about the compatibility with existing linux 2.2.x distributions and
installations. I've always thought the patches weren't stable enough yet.

IMO someone who upgrades the kernel should also be able to read the
Changes file. I don't think this is a problem for distributors.

--
Frank