Re: cdrom problem(s)

Jens Axboe (axboe@image.dk)
Fri, 03 Sep 1999 10:54:01 +0200

BOSZORMENYI Zoltan wrote:
> > It's not the speed setting you should be after, but
> > rather CDROMSETSPINDOWN (and the equivalent GETSPINDOWN).
>
> Thanks, but doesn't hdparm do the same thing?
> As I wrote, hdparm -S 0 succeeded but the drive
> spinned down after that. :-(

I have no idea and I don't have hdparm sources handy here.
You could probably with an strace of hdparm.

> BTW, is is right what the hdparm manpage writes
> about the spindown settings?

I'm on a redhat 4.2 box right now and that man page
is probably not up to date. I'll check my own system
tonight.

> The value it wrote was 0xfff on 2.2.x, 0x3ffff on 2.3.15
> and 0x1fef on 2.3.16 on the same drive. (The Toshiba one.)

You must have 2.3.16 to get the capabilitites right.

> > > And the drives are CD-ROMs, not CD-R, not CD-RW
> > > and not DVD, so 2.3.15 is plain wrong in reporting
> > > capabilities.
> >
> > 2.3.15 is not plain wrong in reporting capabilities,
> > but many drives are!
>
> You may be right. I did not read ide-cd.c et.al.,
> would you please enlighten me which techniques you use
> to find out the correct capabilities of a drive
> if it misreports them?

Sorry, there was a fix in 2.3.16 to correctly report
the capabilities with the ioctl - I forgot about that.
2.3.16 gets them right, ioctl included.

> > The second patch that followed had a correction to
> > that error message - it just wasn't very telling what
> > exactly was wrong. Basically, fix the cd playing
> > application to open the device O_NONBLOCK.
>
> Hmm, the comments in cdrom.h tell that this change
> was in 2.1.x, the cd player application in question (cdp)
> works in 2.2.x. But I will look at its code deeper.
> Thanks for the quick answer.

Yes, it has been like this for a very long time. But now
cdrom.c also defaults to checking the media type which
makes it fail hard. That's the significant change.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@image.dk>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer