Re: PATCH: Update for the serial driver.

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
2 Sep 1999 23:08:48 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.21393.936295572@isi.edu>,
Craig Milo Rogers <rogers@ISI.EDU> wrote:
>>Note that being able to unload your primary disk driver is completely
>>useless.
>
> It might be useful to be able to update your primary disk
>driver on the fly, without rebooting. It might be useful to keep your
>system running while you switch from a failing drive to a good one.

Or, alternatively, to boot up your system with a dumb-as-a-rock
BIOS driver, then switch to a better driver as the installation
proceeds.

____
david parsons \bi/ ia32 only, I suspect; I don't know if the
\/ other architectures even have a usable bios.