Re: BUG: Unable to obtain scsi_result buffer

Richard Gooch (rgooch@ras.ucalgary.ca)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:23:48 -0600

I wrote:
> Hi, all. I'm putting together a machine with a Tekram DC390U2W SCSI
> card (53c895). I'm using the sym53c895 driver, and I get the following
> error from drivers/scsi/scsi.c:
> Unable to obtain scsi_result buffer
>
> which leads to an Oops (NULL kernel pointer dereference), with
> 2.3.16. Does anyone know what's wrong here?
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a kernel log (it appears the initialisation
> of serial driver fouls up the serial console: a separate issue,
> though).

I've done some more digging, and the problem is related to the amount
of RAM. I have 1 GiB, which is causing kmalloc() in 2.3.16 to fail
with GFP_ATOMIC|GFP_DMA. Note that 2.3.3 is fine.
If I boot 2.3.16 with mem=828M, then it's fine. If I boot with
mem=829M, then kmalloc() fails.

Regards,

Richard....
Old: rgooch@atnf.csiro.au