Re: RFC: /proc/module namespace

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 16:13:57 -0400

"Bradley D. LaRonde" wrote:
> I think I would like to see the names right under /proc, but I wonder if
> /proc/drivers isn't a better choice just to avoid name collisions. Or
> aren't name collisions really a big issue?

Name collisions aren't a big issue, but certainly a consideration. A
big motivation for me is scalability... what happens when you load a
bunch of drivers, all of which dump straight into /proc root? You get a
huge ls listing. It's bad enough when you have tons of processes (and
tons of pid inodes) in /proc. I don't want drivers to start doing that
too.

IMHO driver-specific /proc entries should go under directory
/proc/driver/$DRIVER. If there exists a general /proc interface for a
specific capability, only then should it go elsewhere. That at least
encourages driver authors to consider a sane /proc namespace which
scales with independent decisions made by other driver authors.

Regards,

Jeff

--
Americans' greatest fear is that America will turn out to have been a
phenomenon, not a civilization.