Re: RFC: /proc/module namespace

B. James Phillippe (bryan@terran.org)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:05:42 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> you can use /proc/module/... regardless of whether your module is a
> built-in module.
> > If it's not a module, then why is it listed in /proc/modules? Maybe the
> > top-level proc code needs to be cleaned up instead.
>
> You're not making sense. This has nothing to do with anything listed in
> /proc/modules or the top-level proc code.

I think what Jeff is saying is that the information goes in /proc/$MODULE,
where $MODULE is substituted with the name the driver registers; rather
than the literal "/proc/module" directory with subdirs in it. If this is
the case, I think it's an elegant model. Some drivers are already doing
this by hand (eg. /proc/ftape).

If, however, the suggestion is to use /proc/module (sorry, I did not read
the patch yet), then I would agree with the posters; the name would be a
source of confusion ("why is it in /proc/module/floppy!? I built it into
the kernel!"). Perhaps /proc/driver/$NAME would be a better choice.

-bp

--
# bryan at terran dot org
# http://www.terran.org/~bryan