Re: RFC: /proc/module namespace

Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@pobox.com)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 13:30:20 -0400

Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>
> > > Does that mean that, if a device driver is compiled as a module, its
> > > data gets placed in /proc/module, but if it is compiled statically into
> > > the kernel, that the information will go somewhere else?
> >
> > No change in behavior at all. A module can be compiled into the kernel.
>
> His point still stands - you've made a semantic distinction that wasn't
> there before.

No, I haven't. A "module" can be static or dynamic; Linus agrees with
me: Look at include/linux/init.h: I can use module_init() and
module_exit() regardless of whether the module is built into the kernel
or not. My feature is the same: you can use /proc/module/...
regardless of whether your module is a built-in module.

> If it's not a module, then why is it listed in
> /proc/modules? Maybe the top-level proc code needs to be cleaned up
> instead.

You're not making sense. This has nothing to do with anything listed in
/proc/modules or the top-level proc code.

Even if you cleaned up the proc code, module authors would still have no
standard place to put extra, driver-specific /proc entries. My patch
adds that.

Jeff

--
Americans' greatest fear is that America will turn out to have been a
phenomenon, not a civilization.