Re: PATCH: Update for the serial driver.

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl)
Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:53:51 -0400

Thomas Sailer <sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch> said:
> Horst von Brand wrote:

> > Does that include loading and unloading modules into a running kernel?
> > *That* is the advantage of modules, not some "load on startup" thingy.

> I think the idea is to no longer have built in drivers etc, but just
> modules. They can be loaded at runtime, or at kernel boot by linking by
> the boot loader.

To link the kernel on startup allows you to get rid of the bletcherous
initrd stuff, AFAIKS. But that is not the same as loading (and unloading!)
drivers on a live system. And it sounds expensive in startup time... why
not just build a custom kernel when you do need this?

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl