Re: linux memory DOS

Rik van Riel (riel@humbolt.geo.uu.nl)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 13:08:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Nikolay N. Igotti wrote:

> Recently, when playing with memory managment on linux I've found funny
> DOS, based on lazy memory allocation in linux kernel.

[snip overcommit nasties]

I've prepared part of the solution to this, a selection algorithm
which almost always kills 'the bad guy' when memory runs out.
People are using it and it Works For Them(tm).

However, every time I proposed it on this list it has gone down
in a salvo of flames. And I have enough disk for swap now so I
don't really care enough any more to fight that kind of resistance
again.

You can get the patch from my home page and I'm even willing to
help port it to 2.3 *IF* there's a good chance that it'll get
integrated. I'm just too busy to waste my time again...

Rik

of people. That is its real strength.
--
work at:	http://www.reseau.nl/