Re: PCI patch for 2.3.16

Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Thu, 2 Sep 1999 10:50:16 MET-1

Hi Linus, on 1 Sep 99 at 14:23, you wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Martin Mares wrote:
> >
> > o Introduce some mechanism for manual setting of the kernel view
> > of IRQ's, so that people having motherboards with broken BIOSes
> > can fix the things manually.
> As far as I know, the information should be in the ACPI tables, and those
> should be findable without any BIOS calls.
> Quite frankly, I'm not willing to start to use more BIOS calls that are
> likely to be broken on some (unlikely) machines just to avoid problems on
> other (unlikely) machines. EVERY time we've had a BIOS interface, we've
> had trouble on some machines. We don't want to go down that path.
I think that we are not talking about BIOS calls, but about broken BIOS
tables.
I have three SMP computers around, one has board from Gigabyte, second
from Soltek and third from Chaintech. All are based on Award core and all
do not correctly fill USB->PINTx IRQ mapping, so I have to hardcode it
manually (there is bad subdevice identification in that entry in SMP table,
0 instead of 2).
And BTW, if you are talking about real ACPI tables, on my Gigabyte (6BXDS,
BIOS 2.5 from July 99) Win2000 do not start with something like that "It
looks like that your system supports ACPI, but we really do not understand,
what firmware filled into tables (***STOP*** 0xA5)". After disabling ACPI
Win2000 instalation was successful, with only one problem: they are not
able to use USB ("Your firmware did not provide all informations needed for
this device") (*) :-(
I hope that we want to be better.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

(*) I reported it to Gigabyte, but I want to use computer meanwhile too...