Re: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...

Phillip Ezolt (ezolt@perf.zko.dec.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:41:23 -0400 (EDT)

This is not true. There are REAL uses for the call.

I am currently porting an application from Tru64 with behavior that depends on
the number of CPUs in the system. (For example, How many buffers should I
allocate?)

Sure. I can write some code to parse /proc/stat or /proc/cpuinfo. Tru64 has
the sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF) call, and it would be nice if Linux did the
same. (especially since /proc/ has been known to change...)

Why not have both? Keep /proc/cpuinfo for the perl script, but use
sysconf(_SC_NPROCESSORS_CONF) for the libraries. Plus, what if people don't
compile with /proc?

--Phil

Compaq: Business Critical Servers Division/Benchmark Performance Engineering
---------------- Alpha, The Fastest Processor on Earth --------------------
Phillip.Ezolt@compaq.com |C|O|M|P|A|Q| ezolt@perf.zko.dec.com