Re: PATCH: Update for the serial driver.

Jeff Garzik (garzik@pobox.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:23:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> "struct pci_dev" contains the name of the PCI device ("dev->name",
> surprise, surprise), and it has been copied there from __initdata
> information that is discarded after bootup so that we don't waste run-time
> memory on keeping all the PCI names around when they aren't needed (ie
> only the devices that were found have the name).

We need to be able to do this with code too. Modules that will never be
used in a kernel's lifetime should be discarded.

My portable library for S3 video hardware will eventually have several
modules. For example, the s3generic, s3virge, and s3virge_video modules
might be needed if you are a ViRGE owner, but the s3trio and s3savage
modules would not be needed.

Regards,

Jeff