Re: NFS under 2.2.12

David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 13:55:17 -0700

From: miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
Date: 1 Sep 1999 22:40:59 +0200

Well Alan, with RAID the upgrade was pretty dangerous - you had to
mess around with converting important, critical config files by
hand (mdtab -> raidtab) and people feared they could lose their
data. At least I did. And if you created a new style RAID partition
there was no way to go back to a kernel < 2.2.12.

Another factor which people have to keep in mind is how many people
are using RAID heavily in 2.2.x and not using the new RAID stuff.

And one cannot judge this simply by the loudness or number of the
people who complain (unhappy people are loud, happy people are mostly
silent). My personal judgement says there are more people slaving
away at adding the RAID patches to the standard kernel than those who
need to go through the RAID upgrade process.

I'm not even going to go into the issue of the fact that you can use
the new raid code and tools and preserve your RAID format for older
stuff. I would only let someone as knowledgable as Ingo make claims
in this area.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com