Re: NFS under 2.2.12

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
1 Sep 1999 22:40:59 +0200

In article <cistron.E11MGDV-0003Vo-00@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> Shure, it does! But Distributions like Redhat are already shipping them
>> anyway. If you get a 2.2.x Kernel from kernel.org running on a Redhat 6.0
>> Basesystem. NFS will no longer work :(
>
>Yep. Because the knfsd shipped with 2.2.x isnt good enough, but if I upgrade
>stuff in the kernel to need new tools people get all pissy and obnoxious
>as they did with raid.

Well Alan, with RAID the upgrade was pretty dangerous - you had
to mess around with converting important, critical config files by hand
(mdtab -> raidtab) and people feared they could lose their data. At least
I did. And if you created a new style RAID partition there was no way
to go back to a kernel < 2.2.12.

All of those facts do not apply to the kernel NFS server upgrade.
It's just a tools upgrade, there is _no_ chance of data loss at all.
If you want to go back to 2.2.12, downgrade the tools, be done.

Sorry by the way if you thought some of my remarks were obnoxious

Mike.

--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"