Re: /proc/cpuinfo verbiage differ unnecessarily between ports...

Kai Schulte (kai@eclipse.asta.uni-essen.de)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 22:10:18 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Vince Weaver wrote:

> well, I am an author of one of those "user-space tools" that reads
> /proc/cpuinfo.
> if enough people think this is a good idea, I might try to work out a
> patch that does this.
>
> If not, I will let the mess continue. I have to maintain the code one way
> or another; it would be nicer just to have ther kernel do the right thing.

Let it continue... tools that parse kernel information deserve a proper
interface and should not have to parse the information out of strings.
There is sysctl, and parts of it could just be declared "reasonably
stable". Things could be a lot cleaner that way.

/proc is still a useful idea, especially for new features for which
there are no corresponding utilities yet (although, as a purist, I'd
rather do without this bit of kernel bloat... ;)

Kai