Re: How to set a environment varibale from bootup process?

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
1 Sep 1999 21:06:44 +0200

In article <cistron.37CDAF77.4659B5B8@hn.vnn.vn>,
Hoang Manh Hung <hunghm@hn.vnn.vn> wrote:
>Im using RH52. I already tried to set a environment variable in some
>script in /etc/rc.d, but
>after bootup, I logon and it was not there.

That's logical. If you set an environment variable, it is only
present in the process you set it in, and the children of those
processes. There's no way to set environment variables of unrelated
processes.

However you can do this in /etc/initscript. Since init is the parent
of _all_ processes, it's environment will propagate to all processes
on the system. Read the manual page for initscript(5).

No guarantee that it will be set in interactive sessions as well
since a lot of programs, like login, clean up their environment
before starting a new session.

Mike.

--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"