Re: PROBLEM: Filesystem corruption under 2.2.12

Florian Lohoff (flo@rfc822.org)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:16:43 +0200

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 12:09:59PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > I also have seen this (before the ext2 errors) ...
> > Aug 30 20:36:00 noose kernel: free_one_pmd: bad directory entry 04000000
>
> This indicates memory corruption and looks lile a bitflip.

I thought something like that when i read the mail after sending
it.

> > The first problem of ext2 errors i had after 2 days of Uptime
> > and ~1GB additional News traffic. So the corruptions seems
> > to be quite rare.
> >
> > This is an AMD K6 300Mhz with a single 128MB PC-100 Dimm ..
>
> Is it a B step K6 (It'll say so on boot if its a problematic K6). Does it

Hmmm ... Dont know - I am not sitting in front ...

dmesg:
CPU: AMD AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor stepping 00

(root@noose)~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 8
model name : AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor
stepping : 0
cpu MHz : 300.686339
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
sep_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr mce cx8 sep mmx 3dnow
bogomips : 599.65

> have a sticker between the CPU and heatsink and have you got another
> DIMM to flip with this one - or have you already tried that

Ill drive there and have a look - I used this machine as a Desktop
for at least half a year and didnt have problems befor i "converted"
it into a News Server :)

It is much warmer from the Environment in my "Machine Room" - So this
might be possible.

Flo

--
Florian Lohoff		flo@rfc822.org		      	+49-5241-470566
  ...  The failure can be random; however, when it does occur, it is