Re: RE: idea: MAC level compression & crypto

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:35:11 +0200

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 12:20:04AM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> > The US Government, in its wisdom, has decreed that crypto hooks
> > aren't allowed to be exported either.
> Then the answer is obvious, produce the hooks in the US, then publish
> them in book form, post them to Finland and get some poor students to
> scan them and OCR them for months and re-build them there ;)

Hey, stop that about students! ;)

> It does seem MAD that the US govt. will restrict you from exporting
> crypto that is freely available outside the US. Obviously they think
> that a terrorist or drug lord is too dumb to go to www.pgpi.com to get
> the same program they aren't allowed to get from www.pgp.com!

The people making those descisions mostly don't even know what encryption
means. They only know it is something dangerous and probably criminal that
could take away their power over people.

So, what about IMporting crypto? I mean, the kernel isn't actually
_produced_ in the USA, is it? Or where do the official releases come from,
geographically?

> "Linux is beating Windows" - David Cole, Microsoft Executive

from Halloween?

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

There are more than 1000 chemicals in brand coffee, of which 26 have been tested and examined. Of those 26, 24 caused cancer in lab rats.