Re: vm kills processes in our 2.3.12 port of reiserfs - what was

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 09:10:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Hans Reiser wrote:

>whole file for small files. I don't understand why you guys think that
>reiserfs is somehow harder to integrate with the page cache (except for

I didn't wanted to tell that. What I wanted to tell is that if you'll
continue to duplicate the __data__ of the files in both the buffer cache
and in the page-cache as always happens in 2.2.x, IMHO then you are going
to be slower in real-world. This because IMHO in most of cases the
filesystem performances are far less critical than the cache performances.
And so if you waste memory by duplicating the cache, you'll be slower
because you will be able to cache only half of the data in the worst
case. That's a cohernecy issue.

NOTE: I am not talking about any filesystem in particular.

Andrea