Re: proxy_arp bug? [was Re: autorouting problem]

Hirling Endre (endre@darmol.elte.hu)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:08:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, cxreg wrote:

> I did this, and things seemed to be working great. The network at home
> could see all machines on the network at work, and all Internet addresses
> as well. However when I got to work this morning, I found that an NT
> machine at work was having problems. It turns out that when NT boots, it
> ARPs for itself to make sure that no one is using the address that it
> wants for itself. In this case, the proxy_arp flag apparently caused the
> Linux box to answer the ARP request, thereby shutting down the interface
> on the NT machine entirely. Now I'm not entirely sure how it works, but
> it seems to me that in proxy_arp the kernel should never return ARP
> replies for the same interface that the request came in on. Im pretty
> sure this is what was happening because when i shut off the proxy_arp in
> linux, the NT machine started booting properly. Hope this is helpful...
> Dave Olszewski

Hmm... It shouldn't reply to ARP-s on the same interface according to
my experience. Are you sure you have your routing table set properly?
I'm using this method to give my test machine that's routed via my
workstation a valid IP address from the department's class C range.
I also used it at various places, seeing this problem only when the
institute's sysadmins changed the network topology without notifying
me to change my routing table.

greetings
endre

--
..all in all it's just another rule in the firewall.

/Ping Flood/