Re: Kernel Panic, root fs..

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:29:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> > I don't know that it matters. I compile kernels for various
> > different machines, and I do all the compiling on ONE machine.
> > ALL of the machines have the Linux root filesystem on a different
> > partition.
>
>That's basically what I do, but it's irrelevant to the subject under
>discussion, so can I clarify.
>
> 1. The original poster suggested that "make zImage" should
> check that the .config settings included the required
> settings for the boot drive on the system one compiles
> the kernel on. That's the first paragraph quoted above,
> plus about a dozen paragraphs I cut from his post since
> the quoted paragraph basically summed it up.

Right.

> 2. My reply basically pointed out that the system one is
> compiling on is not necessarily the target system, and
> the target system may have a completely different setup
> to the compiling system. That's the second paragraph
> quoted above.
>
>As an example, the machine I use for compiling is a P166 with dual
>EIDE hard drives, an EIDE CD-ROM and an EIDE CD-RW. One of the systems
>I compile for is a P100 with a SCSI hard drive and two banks of six
>SCSI CD-ROM's (giving 12 SCSI CD-ROMs in total), which works as a file
>server for a school network.

Yes, I think a lot of people out there are in the same position
as well. Compiling kernels on one box that are destined for
other machines entirely, possibly for machines that they won't
even see it running on and won't know anything about. Isn't that
one of the beauties of Linux? Configurability and flexibility
without needing to know such gory details, and without having a
huge bloated kitchen-sink kernel.

Take care!
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Need a room? Rooms Plus Travel Guide http://www.roomsplus.com