Re: Parallel port printing in 2.3.13

TimO (hairballmt@mcn.net)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:19:36 -0600

Mike wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Aug 1999, TimO wrote:
>
> > > Since upgrading to 2.3.13, printing is extrememly slow. It looks like the
> > > driver is sending some data to the printer, then waiting for ages before
> > > sending any more data.
> > > Maybe lost interrupts?
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > Sounds like you might be using polling mode(default) for parport_pc.
> > Polling mode seems to be VERY slow on some hardware(including mine).
>
> Nope, thats not it. I was using interupt driven because in previous
> kernels it sped things up a bit (although not much). Switching to polling
> mode makes it work at a reasonable speed.
> By slow, I mean 1 page of text took over 3 hours to print.
>
> --
> Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>
>
> Neckties strangle clear thinking.
> -- Lin Yutang
Do you have both IEEE1284 and FIFO (CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO) compiled
into the kernel? The parport code changed in 2.3.10 and I know it broke
interrupt-driven printing for me with only FIFO. I added IEEE1284
support and SYSCTL(don't know if this makes a difference) and was able
to print normally in 2.3.10, 2.3.11, and 2.3.13. It still doesn't work
for me in 2.3.12. I didn't have any problems with text files; my print
jobs would just hang forever printing graphics.

As always, YMMV

-- TimO
For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit
within him? In the same way, no one knows the thoughts of God except
the Spirit of God. We have not received the spirit of the world but the
Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given
us.
-- I Corinthians 2:11,12