Re: Re: Huge patches such as ISDN

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 22:52:43 +0200

On Sun, Aug 22, 1999 at 12:49:01PM -0700, M Carling wrote:

> I'm in France. ISDN is important to some people in a few countries and
> these people can either patch and compile their own kernels or let
> S.U.S.E. or another ISDN-friendly distributor do it for them.

If you've ever seen how SuSE patched the ISDN code into their 6.1
distribution (2.2.5), you wouldn't want to have them do it EVER again.

This is just my opinion. I ended up installing Debian (with 2.0.36) on
three different servers because there it just worked right out of the box.
Maybe I was just too dumb (but even the support by email and phone couldn't
help me out there...).

> > We DO benefit from the inclusion of the new ISDN patch which has not
> > been updated as far back as the stable 2.0.x series. Commercial
> > companies like SuSE which have a very big share in the Linux
> > distribution market here will probably also like to see the ISDN patch
> Certainly, some people would benefit from the inclusion in 2.4 of the new
> ISDN code. However, many more would be put at risk. I don't want to see a

I don't understand how the ISDN patch could put the rest of the kernel at
risk if you don't compile it in. Let the default setup NOT compile the ISDN
Stuff in, or perhaps as a module, and everyone will be happy. but put it in
the default kernel: that will save a HUGE lot of work for many people,
getting the right CVS versions, compiling, patching, getting isdnutils,
compiling, etc etc etc ...

> repeat of the instability of 2.2.n (where n<12). The 2.1/2.2 development
> cycle was less than perfect. Let's try to learn from it and do better in

Hm. I am running 2.2.9 here with no problems whatsoever. I don't intend to
change until 2.4 if things stay that way... but maybe I'm just lucky. :)

> the future. I think Linus is on the right track with 2.3. The sooner we
> have a feature freeze, the better.

Sure, but a lot of people would rather wait a couple more weeks and get
ISDN included than the other way round. At least, in Europe.

Just my 0.02¢. :)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de