Re: IEEE 802 and Ethernet Packet Encapsulations

Mark H. Wood (mwood@IUPUI.Edu)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 07:38:49 -0500 (EST)

On 20 Aug 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
[much good stuff]
> IPX, in particular, can be transmitted over either of these frames,
> just to make it confusing; furthermore, most systems treat the
> different frame types as different logical networks. I believe Novell
> recommend configuring using SNAP frames, whereas Ethernet II is
> popular where interoperability with TCP/IP is important.

While the last statement is true, it's also nonsense. IPX and IP don't
interoperate, and neither one cares how the other is encapsulated. That
doesn't prevent lots of people trying to harmonize their IPX and IP
encapsulations, it just makes it totally wasted effort.

A Brazil-nut is neatly packaged and tightly integrated.  To turn it into
food, you must crack and remove the shell.  I find that I feel the same
way about an increasing number of software products.  *sigh*