Re: [patch] SMP scheduler improvements

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@suse.de)
Sat, 21 Aug 1999 11:54:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Jonathan Case Nicklin wrote:

>Also, it looks to me like you removed some code in reschedule_idle
>necessary for good real-time performace, in particular, evaluating the
>preemptive_goodness of a task vs all of the tasks on all other CPU's.

Agreed. If the p->policy of the wakenup task is SCHED_RT or SCHED_FIFO I
should try to reschedule all the running tasks (not only the one that runs
in the p->processor CPU).

I guess this won't have a bad(tm) performance impact in most of cases but,
yes we can do better. I'll fix this and I'll send the update to Linus.

Thanks for pointing this out! ;)

Andrea