Re: _Very_ strange network delay over dialup-ISDN in 2.2.11.

Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:16:46 +0000

David Woodhouse wrote:

> Marc@Mutz.com said:
> > BTW: Has anyone got a clue what part of the OSI cake is responsible
> > for that? I.e. should I forward the message that started this thread
> > to the isdn4linux people, too?
>
> Did you try 'ping -f' to see if the latency is constant in time or constant in
> number of queued packets?

Afraid, I do not quite understand what you mean.
Currently, I have 7 connections stuck in CLOSE_WAIT for minutes now and
my proposed work-around does not work any more :-(
I was doing the following loop at the end of my ip-up script to keep the
line alive as long as there were unfinished connections:

while netstst -n|grep tcp; do
ping -c 5 $peerip
sleep 5
done

That worked for most of the time. Currently, it aviods taking the line
down... I often got connctions hanging around for some time after the
initiating app has exited, but they all went away in a minute or so
(also a very long time I think).

I just checked ping -f to $peerip, but that does not help :-(

I'm getting depressed now ...

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)