Re: [patch] the other __raw_writel's

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:04:31 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 11:30:52PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >
> > jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz said:
> > > Take care, they are wrong. long is 64bit on sparc64, don't be
> > > confused by read long when it is in fact a 32bit read.
> >
> > Then readl and writel are the wrong names for the routines.
> >
> > We ought to rename them while we're at it.
>
> --- begin quote ---
> Following `bit', `byte' and `nybble' there have been quite a few
> analogical attempts to construct unambiguous terms for bit blocks
> of other sizes.
>
> 16 bits:
> playte, {chawmp} (on a 32-bit machine), word (on a 16-bit
> machine), half-word (on a 32-bit machine).
> 32 bits:
> dynner, {gawble} (on a 32-bit machine), word (on a 32-bit
> machine), longword (on a 16-bit machine).
> --- end quote ---

I've never heard anyone use playte, etc. without reference to the Jargon
file. It's more obscure than olde English. Secondly, VAXen, which were
32-bit, still maintained the usage of word for 16 bits even though
'machine word' is usually defined as the register size. They had
longwords, quadwords, and octawords as well.

> What's wrong with read1, read2, read4 and read8 anyway?

A reasonable suggestion.