Re: sync / disk write / fsck related question

Richard Dynes (rdynes@sun1.varcom.com)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 12:52:56 +0000

Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Richard Dynes wrote:
> > Disk
> > amnesia. Edits would be gone, object files would no longer exist,
> > etc. Sometimes a file would be trashed. I became more serious about
> > checking in things I wanted to keep to a network CVS repository.
>
> Make sure `update' is running.
>
> I had similar symptoms on 2.2.9 because I foolishly didn't have `update'
> running. Sometimes it dies too.

This was in fact it. I had a couple of private posts, one of which
pointed this out.

It's obviously not a kernel problem. There's an entry in inittab to
start update, but it isn't executed, why not I don't know yet. This
is a stock RH 6.0 distro, so it's not like I hacked the scripts
myself....

I'll sort it out.

Thanks!

-Richard