Re: root-only-write on ext2

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 21:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, Bob Edwards wrote:

>Is it possible to mount an ext2 file-system so that only root has
>write permission, regardless of individual write permissions on
>individual files and directories? If not, how hard would it be to
>implement? I have been looking at linux/fs/ext2/acl.c and it looks
>like it might already be there, but it isn't apparent as to how to
>control the option.

man mount

Pay particular attention to the options "user, group, mode" for
the ext2 and other filesystems.

>My application is to create a "backup" filesystem using rsync. I want
>root to be able to write the files into the filesystem, preserving all
>the access modes and ownerships etc. I want individual users to be able
>to read back their own files, but not to delete or otherwise modify
>them.
>
>Any clues would be appreciated.

I think the above will do exactly what you wish. I believe that
the filesystem mount priveledges override individual file/dir
permissions and ownership.

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Need a room? Rooms Plus Travel Guide http://www.roomsplus.com