Re: Kernel Panic, root fs..

Matthew Vanecek (mev0003@unt.edu)
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:55:34 -0500

"Mike A. Harris" wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Riley Williams wrote:
>
> > > An alternative would be for "make zImage" or lilo to bitch at
> > > you that you dont have kernel modules/kernel support for the
> > > root device.
> >
> >How does "make zImage" or "make bzImage" know what the root device is
> >anyway? Remember that the machine we're compiling on may not be the
> >target machine - and we may even be compiling a kernel with which to
> >netboot some machines without any drives of their own...
>
> I don't know that it matters. I compile kernels for various
> different machines, and I do all the compiling on ONE machine.
> ALL of the machines have the Linux root filesystem on a different
> partition. I do:
>
> make dep ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install
>
> When it is done, I move the config, bzImage (or zImage),
> System.map, and module directory all to a separate dir, and make
> a tarball. I then distribute this tarball to the machine in
> question. When I unzip the tarball, I move the files into /boot,
> and /lib/modules. I then edit lilo.conf and tell it about the
> new kernel. I don't run rdev, or any other such thing. The
> kernels ALWAYS boot properly, and if I move them to a totally
> different machine, they still work correctly.

How do you get away with that? The last time I tried that, the other
machine had the kernel panic, couldn't open initial console, etc...so I
ran rdev on it to set the root device, and have been doing it that way
since. Maybe I'll try it again w/2.2.11, since I stuck a new hd in that
machine to be root... Does it matter that I'm compiling on /dev/sda1
but installing on /dev/hda1? I've noticed that the compressed image
always returns /dev/sda1 as its default root device, when queried with
rdev.

--
Matthew Vanecek
Course of Study: http://www.unt.edu/bcis