Re: Kernel Panic, root fs..

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
17 Aug 1999 11:03:40 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.95.990817090722.13436A-100000@chaos.analogic.com>,
Richard B. Johnson <root@chaos.analogic.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

>> <QUOTE>
>> Kernel Panic: Couldnt mount /dev/sda1 on root fs, perhaps you forgot to
>> compile in scsi support?
>> </QUOTE>

>Big strings mean big kernels. Not too good. The kernel doesn't
>know, and *** must not know *** about 'dev/sda1'.

Too late, I'm afraid.

The de facto standard names are already known to the kernel (cf:
init/main.c::name_to_kdev_t(), just for an example) and it is
somewhat silly to have this one place spit out a magic code after
the kernel has just finished telling you (for example)

sda : READ CAPACITY failed.
sda : status = 1, message = 00, host = 0, driver = 28
sda : extended sense code = 2
sda : block size assumed to be 512 bytes, disk size 1GB.
Partition check:
sda:scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
unable to read partition table
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3

____
david parsons \bi/ Not that this code snippet shows any great
\/ coherence in error messages.