Re: 2.2.11: Complicated memory leak...

Eric Lee Green (eric@estinc.com)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:38:03 -0700

Frank Horowitz wrote:
> Just compiled/installed 2.2.11 in a more-or-less stock RedHat
> 6.0 SMP (dual Celeron) system (modulo using the XFree86 3.3.4 RPMs
> from RawHide). Symptom: after about 5 minutes, the system totally
> runs out of memory (256Mb RAM and 256Mb swap) producing numerous "out
> of memory" messages before total lockup. The pre-crash behavior is
> quite evident in xosview, top, etc. etc.

Similar behavior here, but I was actually showing close to 40M memory free in
'top' when /bin/bash started reporting "Can't fork" errors (no memory!). This
on a busy NFS and Intranet server that does not run X11 or any client software.

So it appears that fragmentation is a problem too. Backing back down to 2.2.10
was the only way to solve it.

Guess that means I wait for 2.2.12 (I don't run patched kernels on our
mission-critical servers unless there's no avoiding it)...

-E