Re: 2.3.12 processes reading proc stuck in D state

David Ford (david@kalifornia.com)
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:53:16 -0700

I haven't had a chance to really get into it, but here's what I've found.

It -only- happens on one machine I have, it's a p166.

The process gets stuck reading /proc in the following:

ide_pci_chipsets, and iirc, had something to do with WCHAN being something
close to: wait_on_buffer

I don't have a vmlinux kernel on this machine so I can't get more exact details
yet. (compiling)

However, it's still in 2.3.13 and pre14-1

-d

Richard Lyons wrote:

> I have seen this too, after a few hours of high load burn-in on an SMP
> box. Two processes that are part of a two different pipe commands (the
> use of pipes is the only common factor I have been able to establish)
> block in a D state, and top/ps hang when they open /proc/<pid>/stat of the
> blocked processes. As you note, normal I/O is not affected. I'll try .13
> this afternoon and see if it makes a difference.
>
> On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 craig@zen.co.za wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Anyone else seen this? When running ps, top etc. the process would hang
> > (unkillably) and the load average would go up a notch. Kernel 2.3.12 on
> > a (single) Pentium II 350, 64M RAM and a mostly Redhat 5.2 with bits of
> > RH 6 distribution.
> >
> > Scroll-lock tricks revealed that the processes trying to read proc were
> > all stuck in the D state. I could quite happily start other processes
> > though eg. xterms.
> >
> > I haven't tried to reproduce it again - 2.3.13 was out and so I'm
> > running that now instead with no problems yet.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > PS. Please cc me directly for a quick reply. My lists mail goes to a
> > machine that I only get to read infrequently ...
> >
> > --Craig
> >
> > -
> >

> -

 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux
__ is an operating system that brings back the fun and adventure in computing.
\/  for linux-kernel: please read linux/Documentation/* before posting problems