Re: Kernel Panic, root fs..

STEVE KENNEDY (stevek@newbridge.com)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:23:05 -0400

Arni Raghu wrote:

> HI,
> I have a system that works well with the default kernel 2.036 from
> Redhat..But then I decided to upgarde to 2.2.10..it compiled well and as
> usual I edited lilo.conf and tried to boot with the new kernel ...But I
> get the following error mesg::
>
> VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:01
>
> Pls email me separately as I am not subscribed to the list..
>
> Thx,
> Arni

It sounds like you haven't compiled the drivers required to access your
root partition into the kernel. If your root partition on an IDE drive,
the kernel _must_ have the IDE drivers in the kernel, that is, they
_cannot_ be modules. Same applies to SCSI. If you have the proper
drivers installed in the kernel, and you're still having trouble, check
your lilo config (/etc/lilo.conf) to make sure you have the correct root
device set. If you don't use lilo, then try using `rdev` which sets the
image root device. man rdev.

Hope it helps,

-- Steve --