Re: New resources - pls, explain :-(

Benjamin Herrenschmidt (bh40@calva.net)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 18:44:54 +0200

On Mon, Aug 16, 1999, Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch> wrote:

>That wont do you any good at all, the method for accessing different
>busses are often different from a set of memory offsets. Memory
>offsets may be fine if we are talking multiple busses of the same
>type, but some busses require specific handling of things like caches
>etc.

Yep, I was mostly thinking about several PCI busses (common case on
PowerMacs) and ISA-on-PCI stuffs. I beleive there is no way to be pretty
_and_ efficient when really working with several completely different
busses. Actually, even PCI may be different from one machine to the
other. (Some ARM platforms are not cache coherent for DMA from the PCI,
and I may have to break the coherency assumption in some cases on the
PowerMacs too due to power saving requirements).

--
           Perso. e-mail: <mailto:bh40@calva.net>
           Work   e-mail: <mailto:benh@mipsys.com>