Re: Problems writting a CHAR Driver with interruptible_sleep (wait_

Raul Dias (raul@dias.com.br)
Mon, 16 Aug 1999 12:34:11 -0300 (EST)

On 16 Aug, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Raul Dias wrote:

> It's not uncommon just to busy wait for that amount of time:
> usleep(100);

But that would "hang" the machine during this time, right?

It will be thousands of readings in a second, so I can't "hang" the
machine.

>> This is the last one:
>
>> Can I count the time with a higher precision than with jiffies?
>> I need to keep track of the time on every read, but a jiffie is too
>> slow.
>
> You can use the TSC, but that screws up portability.

portability between platafforms or between kernels?

Where can I find more info about it?

Raul Dias