Re: New resources - pls, explain :-(

Sat, 14 Aug 1999 23:08:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[ ... ]

> For example, my current /proc/ioports has an entry like this:
>
> b800-b8ff : NCR 53c895
> b800-b87f : sym53c8xx
> d000-d01f : Intel EtherExpress Pro100
> d400-d41f : Intel 82371AB PIIX4 USB
> d800-d80f : Intel 82371AB PIIX4 IDE
>
> where the "b800-b8ff" region is the actual PCI resource of the "NCR
> 53c895" controller, while the "b800-b87f" sub-region is the sym53c8xx
> driver that has marked that part of the resource busy (don't ask me why
> the driver only wants to look at the first 128 bytes of the 256 byte
> decode - I just show them as I see them).

The SYM53C895 chip only implements 128 bytes of IO registers. The upper
128 bytes of the IO window just map the same registers as the lower 128
bytes. Without any concept of resource allocation, it did not seem this
usefull to care about more than 128 bytes of IO registers. Now, we
probably should want to care about the full 256 bytes IO window for this
chip.

Gérard.