Re: Cause of mysterious lock-ups with 2.2.x kernels discovered!

Raul Miller (raul@usatoday.com)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 15:44:51 -0400

On Sat, Aug 14, 1999 at 01:33:20AM +0100, Alex Buell wrote:
> I propose four solutions to this problem.
>
> 1. Keep cats out of room.
> 2. Disable the keyboard with a sequence of key-presses, and re-enable by
> pressing a different sequence of key-presses. Of course, it should be
> cat-proof.
> 3. Unplug the keyboard.
> 4. Put cat-repellent on keyboard.

I've had to deal with similar problems (our birds love to join in
the family ritual of pecking at the keyboard -- and will even be so
thoughtful as to bring crumbs and birdseed to us when they can't find
any in the keyboard). And I'd like to point out that there is another
rather nice solution:

5. hide the keyboard.

Since you have cats, you probably can't get away with our solution:
vertical positioning -- lean the keyboard up against the leg of the
table, or against the computer -- but maybe if you got a latching box
with a small hole knocked in the side for the cable... Or just mount
the keyboard on the underside of the table when you're not using it
(some keyboard trays will do this for you).

--
Raul