Re: Many unchecked calls to kmalloc() in Linux 2.2.11

Russell King (rmk@arm.linux.org.uk)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:24:47 +0100 (BST)

Christopher Peterson writes:
> Searching through the new Linux 2.2.11 source tree with a lint script, I
> have found 166 possibly crash-worthy bugs. These are places where a
> developer has called a function that can return NULL, but has forgotten to
> check for a NULL return value. For example, many developers call kmalloc(),
> __get_free_pages(), or ioremap() without checking for NULL, assuming these
> functions will always succeed. Although these functions rarely return NULL,
> this is still a real possibility for a heavily stressed Linux server. If we
> want Linux to become even more reliable, we need to stamp out bugs in every
> corner of the source code.

All the ARM stuff in 2.2 kernel sources is out of date. This means
everything in arch/arm, drivers/acorn and include/asm-arm can be
safely ignored (I've already fixed them up from a previous lint
report).
_____
| | | | http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/~rmk/aboutme.html / / |
/ | THE developer of ARM Linux |+| /|\