Re: RealMagic DVD-cards

Jonathan Masters (mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 01:04:33 +0100

My not just *give* them *all* of you bank cards/make them sole controlling party on
all of your accounts - Iam wondering if it's legal to do what these companies do.
If I developed a card would *want* people to have the specs - it can't do any harm
- other companies will the specs anyway by whatever means they feel needed (catch
my drift? :) so they certainly can't loose anything. If people have the specs, they
can write drivers, etc which can only boost the company's performance.

Jon.

Alan Cox wrote:

> > I'm assuming the DVD industry hasn't been overly cooperative in the matter? I
> > would think that to some degree, the decoding specs would be published so that
> > hardware manufacturers could get access to them. Is it reverse engineering on
> > everyone's end? Or just ours?
>
> You can sign NDA's for the info for a fee (about $15,000 I seem to remember)
> but then can't release the info itself. Also if you do a software decoder
> and your decoder is 'cracked' to open the spec you agree to pay them a huge
> fine.
>
> -

Jonathan C. Masters                     (jonathan@oxlug.org)
                                        PGP: www.brookes.ac.uk/~95227860/KEY

"Upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

-- Matthew 16, 17-18