Re: [OFFTOPIC]Re: ADSL or Cable modem support in Linux, etc..

Mitchell Blank Jr (mitch@sfgoth.com)
Thu, 12 Aug 1999 20:23:27 -0700

Paul Ashton wrote:
> There has been talk of replacing the ethernet/router/adsl modem combo
> with an ATM25 PCI card. I hope it's just a rumour as I haven't seen any
> linux support for ATM25 cards anywhere.

http://icawww1.epfl.ch/linux-atm/

Caveats:
* No current support for the popular (for DSL) Efficient-25 cards.
I think some people are working on a driver, but I don't think it's
production-ready. I'm betting it will be done soon. It does support
the IDT Nicstar based ones such as the ForeRunner LE though.

* No PPP-over-ATM support. I posted a first cut at this this morning.
Hopefully I'll have something working soon.

* No bridged-ethernet-over-ATM support. I described some hacks to make
this work a while back on the linux-atm list (check the archives).
After I hash out PPP I'll probably look at adding more formal support.

Further questions about ATM support should be directed at the linux-atm
mailing list (again, see above URL)

-Mitch