Re: no driver change for 2.4?

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:42:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Hubert Mantel wrote:

> So the huge ISDN update in proposed-2.2.11 will be removed from the final
> 2.2.11 release?

[ Irritated mode: FULL BLAST ]

Are you being stupid on purpose, or were you born that way?

[ Irritated mode: NORMAL ]

I'm really disgusted with ISDN development. I'm disgusted with the fact
that I don't _ever_ see any development until after code freeze
announcements, which is at a point where it is basically too late.

I'm used to that happening. It happens with other drivers too. The thing
that makes ISDN stand out is that with other drivers it happens ONCE.

With ISDN, it has happened EVERY SINGLE DAMN RELEASE TIME! For the last
FIVE years or so. I've complained before, and every time my complaints are
apparently ignored, and result in stupid comments like the above.

It is over. I refuse to see this continue. The ISDN people need to open
up, and stop the ridiculous practice of having closed lists and closed
releases, and not feeding them back until it's basically too late. The
ISDN people need to get on with the program, because it doesn't work the
way it is handled now.

We had this exact discussion during the 2.2.x release thing, and yet
people seem to not have woken up. I don't know what I have to do to make
people understand. I'm considering asking SuSE to stop funding any
development that doesn't find its way in a timely manner into the standard
kernel, for example.

I know there _are_ people at SuSE who understand that the current ISDN
development model is a disaster for releases. Maybe you should talk to
them.

Linus