Re: bzImage patch ? for monolithic kernels

Matthew G. Marsh (mgm@paktronix.com)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 13:31:12 -0500 (CDT)

On 6 Aug 1999, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Followup to: <Pine.LNX.4.10.9908052016210.13486-100000@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>
> By author: Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > Whilst the bzImage format itsef can handle kernels up to 16M in size,
> > there is a problem with boot loaders once the kernel gets to be over
> > 1M in size, and that is the current limit.
> >
> > There HAS to be a way round that limit, but I for one haven't the
> > foggiest what it is...
> >
> > Best wishes from Riley.
> >

> Zeroeth-order: change the 0xffff constant on line 173 of
> linux/arch/i386/boot/tools/build.c to something more appropriate
> (0xfffff for example) and see what breaks...

Yep - Seems OK. I added an f and rebuilt a 1.1M kernel bzImage and lilo
did not complain and the machine booted. Now we will see if there are any
othr problems but I highly doubt it. Thanks!

> Actually, I don't see why 16 MB would be a limit for bzImage either...
>
> -hpa
> --
> <hpa@transmeta.com> at work, <hpa@zytor.com> in private!
>
> -