Re: New resources - pls, explain :-(

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:28:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> I know I am a special case :) but:

No, you're not. You're a case that needs to be handled, but not a special
one.

> What is to be done about ugly situations like multi-head video cards
> sharing the same VGA I/O regions? Or with vgacon not releasing the VGA
> I/O region when fbcon takes over?
>
> Right now my drivers completely ignore the new kernel resource code...

The new kernel resource code should act the same as the old one. There was
a short while (ie pre-3 - pre-5) where it didn't because it was in
development, but there is absolutely nothing in the resource code that
can't handle it.

If vgacon/fbcon need to synchronize, that's a driver issue.

Linus